Chapter 18, lesson 2, Ocean Currents.
Read item 5 under "Currents Lesson" to find answers for these blanks. There are several questions with ** beside them. These are not in the book, but are facts that you need to know and use. Some of these facts are from your note.
1. A _____________ _____________is a current that moves water horizontally, or parallel to Earth’s surface. Parallel means side by side like railroad tracks.
2. _____________ _____________are powered by wind blowing over the water.
3. Sailors have relied on _____________ _____________ and winds to make sailing easier.
4. The _____________ _____________is the shifting of winds and surface currents from their expected paths because of Earth’s rotation.
5. The currents north of the equator circle to the __________.
6. Currents south of the equator circle to the ___________.
7. Look at the map on page 518. There are some red arrows and blue arrows. Why are they different colors and what do you think they represent?
8. If you follow those arrows they seem to change from blue to red near the Earth’s _______________________. The blue arrows are found closer to the ______________________ __________________________.
**9. **Surface currents spin in circles because of the _______________ effect. These spinning surface currents are called GYRES.
10. Sailors always have used _____________ _____________to make traveling easier.
11. The Gulf Stream is a 100-km-wide _____________ _____________in the Atlantic Ocean.
**12. **The Gulf Stream is part of the North Atlantic Gyre. A gyre is a _______________ current that spins because of the ______________ effect.
**13. **The North Atlantic Gyre carries warm water towards cold areas and cold water towards the warm areas.
14. The North Atlantic ________ carries ________ water from the Equator across the Atlantic over to Europe where it causes it to have a MUCH WARMER climate than it should have!!!
15. _________________ ____________________ help scientists track currents. They have cards inside them to tell what they are.
16. Currents on the west coasts of continents begin near the ___________ where the water is colder.
17. Currents on the east coast of continents start near the ___________ where the water is warmer.