Rock Cycle Notes Cloze:
1. ________________ are naturally occurring, inorganic solids with a definite chemical composition and a crystal structure.
2. rocks are made of________________.
3. rocks are mixtures of one or more minerals , rock fragments, volcanic glass, organic matter, or other natural materials.
4. ________________-process where rocks slowly change from one form to another through time. Any type of rock can change into any other type of rock.
5. ________________-means to wear down, ________________ is the carrying away, and ________________ is dropping it as sediment
6. 3 types of rocks are ________________, ________________, and sedimentary
9. ________________ rock is made up of fragments of other rocks that have been broken down by weathering.
10.________________ rock is made from rocks that have been heated and squeezed by the tremendous pressure inside the Earth.
limestone changes into this, marble
11. ________________ rock is formed when any type of rock gets melted by the incredible heat inside the Earth.
12. igneous rocks are formed when________________ or________________ cools and hardens.
13. magma that reaches the Earth’s surface is called lava
14. ________________-igneous rocks that form from magma________________ the Earth. They form “IN” the Earth-Intrusive.
15. intrusive rocks have________________ grains because the magma cools very ________________. The slower the cooling, the________________ the grains
16. ________________ and ________________ are the same thing
17. ________________-extrusive rocks are formed from lava cooling on the surface of the Earth. Extrusive rocks cool ________________ causing small grains. The________________the cooling process, the ________________the grains.
18. volcanic glass, such as pumice, obsidian, and scoria cooled so fast that they don’t have grains or crystals.
20. basalt and granite are________________ rocks
21. ________________rocks have been changed by________________ and________________.
22.________________ rocks can be formed from igneous, sedimentary, or other metamorphic rocks.
23. high temperatures inside the Earth cause the rocks to________________ without actually melting.
24.________________ rocks have their grains (crystals) arranged in layers. (think“folded” like towels)
25. slate and gneiss are foliated ________________ rocks
26. ________________ rocks do not have layers. Quartzite and marble are________________ metamorphic rocks.
27.________________ are loose materials such as rock fragments, mineral grains, and bits of shell that have been moved by wind, water, ice, or gravity.
28. ________________ rocks are formed when sediments are pressed and cemented together or when crystals form from solutions.
29. ________________ and ________________- is what forms the sediment into sedimentary rocks. The tiny particles are pressed together and then cemented by minerals.
30. sedimentary rocks often form as________________. The________________ layers are on the________________ and the newest layers are on the top
31. fossils are ONLY found in________________ rocks
34. ________________ sedimentary rocks are cemented together
35. sandstone and shale are________________ rocks
36.________________ sedimentary rocks are formed when________________ chemicals in solutions, such as salt in seawater, form rocks such as halite and________________.
37. ________________ sedimentary rocks are made of the remains of ________________ things, usually shellfish such as clams, corals, and snails. ________________ is an example of organic sedimentary rock.
38. coal is an ________________ sedimentary rock formed from the remains of dead plants that have been chemically changed and cemented together.