Mineral Notes Cloze:
1. Mineral-_________________ occurring_________________ solid that has a definite chemical composition and an orderly crystal structure.
2._________________ means never alive!!! Minerals were never alive!
3._________________make rocks, rocks DO NOT make minerals.
4._________________ are made of one or more elements.
5. Silicate-minerals that contain_________________ and _________________.
6._________________ form the most minerals on earth.
7._________________- is the MOST common mineral found on Earth and is found in more rocks than any other.
11. Five physical properties of minerals are: hardness, luster, streak, cleavage, and fracture.
12._________________ measures how easily a mineral can be scratched.
13. Friederich Mohs created a scale called the Mohs scale that lists the_________________ of ten minerals.
14.Talc is the_________________ mineral, it can be scratched with your fingernail
15. Diamonds are the_________________, they can only be scratched by another diamond.
16._________________ describes the way a mineral_________________ or reflects light. It can be metallic or nonmetallic.
17._________________-the color of the powder from a mineral. Rub a mineral across a______________ _________ and look at the color left behind.
18._________________ plate is a piece of unglazed porcelain tile that is used to test the streak of a mineral.
19. _________________-minerals will break along very smooth, flat surfaces. Mica has excellent cleavage.
20._________________some minerals will break with uneven, rough, or jagged surfaces. Quartz has fracture.
21. Special properties- a few minerals are _________________, a few will_________________ in the dark, and a few give off radiation.