Plate Tectonics! (ask for a copy)
Answer all of these questions and please give complete answers. Use as much detail as necessary. If you are unsure, talk to ME!!!
Use this picture for questions 1-4
1. This picture shows heated, less dense magma rising up towards the bottom of the crust. When the magma hits the crust, it starts moving towards the left and right. As it moves sideways, it tugs at the bottom of the crust. This tugging causes the crust to split, lava flows up into the split and hardens into new ocean crust, at the mid-ocean Ridge. The magma then starts to cool and sink back down into the Mantle. This process of rising and sinking magma causes a ___________________
2. These ____________________________ drive the process of plate tectonics.
Before you go on to the next question, be sure you understand what is happening in the picture above. If you don’t understand, talk to me!!!!!
3. In the picture above, which layer has the greatest density?
4. Which layer has the least density?
5. What happens as we go deeper and deeper into the Earth?
Use this picture for questions 6-9
6. What kind of boundary is this, and what kind of crust is involved?
7. Explain why the oceanic crust is sinking below the continental crust.
8. What is happening at letter A? This area has a special name.
9. Explain why there is a volcano in the picture above?
Use this picture for questions 10-11.
10. What kind of boundary is in the picture above? What kind of crust is involved?
11. Why is there a mountain range in the picture above?
Use this picture for questions 12-14.
12. In the above picture, what kind of boundary do we have?
13. What kind of crust is involved?
14. What is causing the seafloor to split apart?
Use this picture for questions 15-16.
15. What kind of boundary is this?
16. Would you expect there to be more earthquakes or volcanoes at this type of boundary? Explain why!
17. In the picture above, why is there a volcano?
18. If the volcano in the above picture continues to erupt, what will it form?
19. What is this landmass called?
20. Who was the scientist who came up with the idea that this landmass existed?