1 large glass bowl
1 250 ml beaker
1 500 ml beaker
about 25 ml salt in a small beakerblue food coloring
ice cubes or ice bag
Heat the water but do not boil. Add 4 drops of food coloring to the large beaker and fill with very warm water. Pour 500 ml of water into the bowl. Use a small beaker to measure out 25 ml of salt. Stir the salt into the hot water until it dissolves. Place the 250 ml beaker into the center of the bowl. Make sure that none of the water from the bowl gets into the beaker. Tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap and make sure it is sealed. Place the ice cubes in a ziplock plastic bag and place it in the center of the plastic wrap. Set the timer for 10 minutes and start it.
You have made a model of the water cycle. Explain how the water cycle works by answering the following questions.
1. What do you observe happening in the bowl?
2. What does the plastic wrap represent?
3. What does the 250 ml beaker represent?
4. What does the water in the bowl represent?
5. What does the water forming on the plastic represent?
6. What does the water dripping into the small beaker represent?
7. Do you think there is any difference between the water in the bowl and the water forming in the beaker? If so, what difference and why?