Answer all of these questions on a sheet of paper. Please give complete answers. Use as much detail as necessary. If you are unsure, talk to ME!!!
Use this picture for questions 1-4
1. This picture shows heated, less dense magma rising up towards the bottom of the crust.† When the magma hits the crust, it starts moving towards the left and right.† As it moves sideways, it tugs at the bottom of the crust.† This tugging causes the crust to split, lava flows up into the split and hardens into new ocean crust, at the mid-ocean Ridge. The magma then starts to cool and sink back down into the Mantle. †This process of rising and sinking magma causes a ______________________________________________.†
These ____________________________________________ drive the process of plate tectonics.
Before you go on to the next question, be sure you understand what is happening in the picture above.† If you donít understand, talk to me!!!!!
2.† In the picture above, which layer has the greatest density?
3.† Which layer has the least density?
4.† What happens as we go deeper and deeper into the Earth?
Use this picture for questions 5-8
5. What kind of boundary is this, and what kind of crust is involved?
6. Explain why the oceanic crust is sinking below the continental crust.
7. What is happening at letter A?† This area has a special name.
8. Explain why there is a volcano in the picture above?
Use this picture for questions 9-10.
9.† What kind of boundary is in the picture above?† What kind of crust is involved?
10.† Why is there a mountain range in this picture?
Use this picture for questions 11-13.
11 In the above picture, what kind of boundary do we have?†
12. †What kind of crust is involved?
13.† What is causing the seafloor to split apart?
14.† What kind of boundary is this?
15.† Would you expect there to be more earthquakes or volcanoes at this type of boundary?† Explain why!
16. In the picture above, why is there a volcano?†
17.† If the volcano in the above picture continues to erupt, what will it form?
18.† What is this landmass called?
19.† Who was the scientist who came up with the idea that this landmass existed?
20.† Why did other scientists not believe him?
21.† What later theory proved he was correct?
22.† What type of technology helped proved that the seafloor was spreading?
23.† What is the name of the theory that describes how the surface of the Earth is put together today and explains why the continents are still moving?
24.† Go back and look at the different pictures.† Which kind of boundary is most likely to cause volcanoes?† Explain your answer.
25. Explain what you have learned about the ages of the rocks near a mid-ocean ridge and why it is true.†
26. On a sheet of paper, draw an example of each of the three types of plate boundaries. Label the types of crust, show direction of movement, and explain what features you might find at each. Also, explain whether or not you would have earthquakes, volcanoes, or both.