1. Where was the evidence found that proved that the continents do drift?
2. The primary cause of continental drift, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions is what?
3. The diagram above illustrates some of the major geologic events that occur on the EarthÕs surface. What causes these events?
4. In order to complete a convection current within the earthÕs surface, the rising material must eventually
The diagram above illustrates what type of geologic event on the Earth?
6. Most geologist think that the movement of EarthÕs plates is caused by
7. The presence of the same on several continents supports the idea of continental drift.
8. helped to solve the problem of how continents move.
Please use the following graphic for this question.
9. What is the correct order of EarthÕs layers (starting from the surface)?
10. The illustration above represents what theory?
11. The theory of plate tectonics states
12. The movement of the crustal plates causes
13. A boundary where two tectonic plates come together, or collide, is called a
14. Which explains why the continental crust floats on top of the mantle?
15. Which layer of the Earth is divided into tectonic plates?
16. Which layer of Earth makes up 66 percent of EarthÕs mass and 80 percent of EarthÕs volume?
17. The upper crunchy part of the mantle and crust together make up which part of the Earth?
18. Which technology would be capable of detecting the movement of EarthÕs crustal plates?
19. The diagram below shows the EarthÕs layers.
Which layers above are known as the mantle?
20. The deepest, densest part of EarthÕs interior consist of two zones: the
21. The inner core of the earth is solid because
22. The density is highest in EarthÕs
23. The is the largest layer inside the Earth.
24. The EarthÕs core is mainly composed of what?
25. Pressure increases with depth toward the center of Earth. In which layer would you expect pressure to be the greatest?
26. The majority of the EarthÕs volume is made up of___________?
27. What is the process called when a plate of ocean crust collides with a plate of continental crust, the denser oceanic plates slides under the lighter continental plate and plunges into the mantle?
28. Most earthquakes happen .
29. Where are volcanoes most likely to form?
30. Which boundaries are found where continental plates slide along side of each other?
31. Which boundaries happen where continental plates collide or crash together?
32. The theory of plate tectonics attempts to explain what?
33. What does the theory of plate tectonics say?
Most earthquakes and volcanoes occur in the areas of the earth surrounding the Pacific Ocean called the ÒRing of FireÓ as seen in the illustration above. Why?
35. Where are rift valleys and mid-ocean ridges most likely to occur?