Ocean Topo IAN 1
1. Ocean basin-the ocean itself, the hole that is filled with saltwater.
2. continental shelf-the edge of the continent where it enters the ocean, is part of the continent and is shallow water.
3. continental slope-drops down much deeper into the ocean, can be as deep as 2,000 meters.
4. submarine canyon-steep V-shaped canyon found in the continental shelf and continental slope. Can be as deep as 2,000 meters.
5. abyssal plain-the flat ocean floor!, the flattest place on Earth.
6. seamount-an extinct volcano found on the ocean floor.
7. guyot-a flat-topped seamount flattened by wave action
8. midocean ridge-undersea mountain range, the longest mountain range on Earth!
9. rift valley-deep valley in the midocean ridge formed where the sea floor is being pulled apart by plate tectonics, caused by divergent boundaries.
10. deep-sea trench-very steep sided cut (valley) in the ocean floor, deepest part of the ocean, can be more than 11,000 meters, caused by convergent boundaries.
11. Mariana Trench-deepest part of the ocean, over 36,000 feet deep. Water pressure is over 8 tons per square inch!!!