Currents IAN 1
1. Ocean water is always moving
2. current is a stream of water flowing like a river in the ocean.
3. ocean currents can carry warm water towards cold climates and can carry cold water towards warm climates
4. surface currents are caused by the wind.
5. global winds travel thousands of miles and last for weeks; caused by uneven heating between the equator and the north and south poles.
6. The trade winds-blow from the east, they are close to the equator and were used by sailors traveling to trade with other countries.
7. the westerlies- blow from the west, they are the strongest around 40 degree latitude. They carry the weather across the United States.
8. coriolis effect-the curving of winds and ocean currents caused by the Earth's rotation.