2. Atmosphere-the ocean of gases that surround the Earth.
3. Water covers 75% of the Earth’s surface.
5. Meteorologist-a scientist who studies the atmosphere and weather.
6. 97% of the Earth’s water is salt water.
7. 3% of the Earth’s water is fresh!
8. World ocean is one giant ocean that covers over 70% of the Earth
9. Salt water contains salt and gases.
10. Salinity is the amount of salt in salt water
12. Salt water is found in the oceans, seas, and salt lakes.
13. Freshwater is only 3% of the Earth’s water.
14. 2/3‘s of Earth’s freshwater is frozen in the ice caps and glaciers.
15. Only 1% of Earth’s water is useable by man!!!
16. Groundwater, rivers, lakes, and the atmosphere contain the 1% of Earths water that we can use.
17. Infiltration-rain water soaks or infiltrates down into the ground Groundwater is stored in aquifers.
18. aquifer is an underground layer of permeable rock that contains water
19. Permeable rock has spaces in it that can contain water.
20. layers of soil above an aquifer filter out pollution
21. aquifer water is slowly moving towards the ocean.
22. Rural families and small towns usually get their water from wells drilled down into the aquifer Reservoirs are large lakes that are used to provide water to cities. Cities may also use rivers as water supplies.
23.Desalination-process of removing the salts from ocean water making it drinkable. IS EXPENSIVE!
Check out these websites for more information.